Saturday, January 21, 2012

Discovered Photo’s…

 

While I am busy playing with Ideas I think it is worth keeping a history going. I have been frantically google-ing away for photo’s and tid bits. Here is what I have found;

kjongstationKurrajong Station

fruitpickup 

Mixed Freight

kurrajongbound

Up the grade toward Kurrajong Yard. Note the inside guide rail, perhaps someone can enlighten me as to its purpose and how it works as I have seen this on corners and grades before.

Pansy

Known as “The Pansy” seen here crossing the Hawkesbury River. I have no idea how this train came about this name

kurrajongstation2 .

Again in Kurrajong yard. I assume this is a CCA and an FO in Tuscan and Russet Livery.

richmondbridge

Road overbridge with the Hawkesbury River Crossing in the background. I may try to use this on the entrance to the layout but it is to early to be guaranteed.

So these photo’s give some ideas to reflect on and use to my advantage. As I have said before I am going to use some modellers licence for the area but overall I think if I can capture the atmosphere of the railway I will be well pleased. As I find little bits I will continue to add them to the blog as I am intrigued by the venture.

Cheers 

P.S, Photo’s by permission from Alan Aldrich, http://www.hawkesburyhistory.org.au/railways/index.html

12 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    Nice photos, Especially Picture 1 with the 3 door BLV in the siding. I guess you will be wanting one of our AndIan Models ones.
    It's great how these photos pop up.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew,

    The inside rail basically acts as a check rail to keep the outside wheel flange from climbing the rail on sharp curves.

    There's quite a few pictures of this style of track around, here's one example I remembered seeing a while ago located on the Oberon branch.
    http://othr.com.au/?attachment_id=267

    It would certainly be a great feature to model in P87 and would look far more realistic than what can be achieved using normal RP25/88 wheels.

    Cheers
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,

    Here's a few more including one pic where you can see the shape of the start of the inner rail.

    http://othr.com.au/?attachment_id=271
    http://othr.com.au/?attachment_id=322
    http://othr.com.au/?attachment_id=321

    Cheers
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Darren, I have seen this on the Dorrigo branch and Tumut but the photo showing the shape of how it starts is just what I was after as I couldn't recall it. Thanks mate.

      Delete
  4. I was having a look at the topos to try and see where the railway ran and noticed it was near "Bowen Mountain"!

    You should have some good aerial coverage from the 1940's because you are so close to RAAF Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew
    Excellent choice ! My wifes aunt lives in Kurrajong (now nearly 80) and still laments the closure of the line every time she comes to visit, by train of course!...and her cousin lives on Bowen Mountain !
    Looking forward to following your progress.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary, it seems to be a common theme with people who remember it. I still can't believe that Bowen Mountain is near by, hehehe.

      Delete
  6. Andrew,

    There's a nice little piece on Kurrajong in Ron Preston's book "Tender into Tank". Seven pages in total plus various pictures. Also in the Appendix is a Working Timetable and a Gradient Chart for the line. Hope this helps. Look forward to further developments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. re the BLV, is that a formal product announcement? cheers Nick

    ReplyDelete