Saturday, August 11, 2012

CCA and an FO…

Well a few weeks ago my Austrians FO and CCA turned up for the Kurrajong project. Austrians really have gone up a gear and are producing some fine models. There are obvious changes and additions that I will make but otherwise a very good model.

IMG_2468

CCA

IMG_2470

FO  

IMG_2472

Changes here, Paint the steps, paint the buffers being careful not to fool the working parts. And get rid of those ‘orrible’ couplers.

 

The bogies follow the same concept as the BS/FS release by Austrians in that they have pick ups for interior lighting. I am not a fan myself and will most likely exchange these bogies for AR kit 2AA’s. I have yet to do anything about hook and chain couplers but I will get there.

Andrew

8 comments:

  1. G'day Andrew.

    They look nice, my pair hopefully won't be far away then!

    Do they look better in the flesh than in the pics? (nice pics BTW).

    I agree on your plan of attack, I'll probably end up doing something similar, I might give the ILM NS screw couplers a go.

    Are the buffers sprung?

    Now for those spoked wheels.............

    Cheers,

    Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom,

      Yep the buffers are sprung and with some weathering they will come up better as they still look a bit plastic, but overall they are a very nice model. All the handrails are really nice.
      Andrew

      Delete
  2. Andrew,

    The CCA could do with a tail disc / triangle, another simple detail addition, although I note that there does not seem to be any lamp irons on the enclosed end?

    Regards,

    Tom R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you point that out Tom, no there isn't...hmmmm

      Delete
  3. G'day Andrew,

    Got my set the other week.

    Nice.......

    Couplers - gone.....

    Wheels - will go ASAP....

    Just a few additions needed to what you and Tom R have mentioned (I've used AR kits cast brass lamp irons on my HS so I might use them on these cars)

    1. Tissue paper on the roof to simulate canvas
    2. The underside of the canopy needs to be painted cream
    3. End platforms and steps need to be black - they were never brown/white
    4. rip out all the lighting - I'm not doing night running
    5. need more buff lining around doors etc as well as car numbering (whenever the decals turn up)
    6. Canvas storm blind for the end platform end of the CCA

    Cheers,

    Tom P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom sounds the go, look forward to seeing some progress...good luck.
      Andrew

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I have one of these carriages (FO Platform End Carriage) on my property. Where do you get the models?


    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geoff. Look up Austrains and check their availability.

    ReplyDelete